Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cancel all plans




There is only one word for the 2012 ABC line-up and it is this- epic.

You should probably just cancel any plans you had for next year now. It’ll save you a lot of those awkward moments when you have to wiggle out of a social outing in order to stay inside and watch TV. People just don’t understand.

Here, because I know you need my help to make up your minds, are my thoughts on the show reel.

The Straits- I have no idea what this is about, except a geographical grounding. I remain unconvinced.
Rake- was good. More Rake equals more good.
Mabo- I did Year 10 history. I understand why this is exciting. Plus it looks kind of great.
Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries- Where did all these super high production values come from? Have the ABC started laundering money or something?
Hurrah documentaries!
First of all, art based reality TV (that rarest of rare breeds) is awesome.
Secondly- William McInnes! Why are you hosting that auction show?!
Nice to see the ABC ensuring Myf’s continued employment.

I could write a whole post about the comedy line-up alone. You never know, I still might.
Outland- A show about a gay science fiction club? I am optimistic.
Woodley- There are very few ways in which this could be bad. Frank Woodley. Dressed as a giant egg. This will not be bad.
Laid- Laid was one of my TV highlights of this year. Which is saying something in a year so full of good TV. I’ve been tracking series 2 in a way I can’t remember following a local show before. I’m pretty pumped. In case you hadn’t noticed.

Kitchen Cabinet- You can’t deny it has a rather large novelty factor.
Dirk Gently- There will be rants about this. You can bet your first born on it. It’s been out for about a year now. I haven’t tracked it down due to rather serious misgivings. I’m a huge Adams fan (*coughcoughUNDERSTATMENTcough*) and the reviews weren’t exactly glowing. There is no Monk. The door is not red. I reserve judgement.
ABC2 shows some rather odd things don’t they? Is that a show about dwarfs? Really?

Now I understand that this is the point where us adults should stop watching. But-
Dance Academy! Judge me at your leisure. I shall be rushing home from university to watch this.
Although I probably can’t say the same for the show about Irish dancing.

And ABC4Kids will keep showing kids shows and ABC24 will keep showing news.

Excellent! Brovo! Standing ovation! Etc!

And while we’re here, something that won’t be on the ABC…
Everyone seems to be keeping Sherlock under pretty tight wraps. The preview screening of A Scandal in Belgravia is happening like RIGHT NOW so I can only assume that its pretty much done. The BBC has tentatively suggested a January airdate but we still have no proper preview and a few measly promo picks. Put simply- someone is doing a damn good job. If television was measured in fan-base per second of footage, Sherlock would be up there with the great cult heroes. Riling that fan-base to a fever pitch of hysterical excitement can only be good for ratings. Less is most certainly more.

I can only speculate about when we’ll get in Australia (not that most of you pirate fiends care). Nine is currently repeating the first series (always a good sign) and Sherlock features prominently in their “COMING IN 2012!!!!” (much less subtly than our ABC) trailer. Whether they’ll fork out to fast track it or wait until ratings season starts up again is anyone’s guess.

Put simply- 2012 is going to be a good year to stay indoors.

3 comments:

  1. ABC2 also has Archer...Archer= epic win

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a long trailer for Outland on digital spy as well - http://www.digitalspy.com.au/australian-tv/news/a347940/outland-watch-a-trailer-for-the-new-australian-comedy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't "What's not to love!" have a question mark? I thought the ABC would have a better grasp of basic grammar. They could have used an interrobang!

    ReplyDelete